Friday, July 13, 2012

Life Without Football? Yes We Can

As someone who has now completed an entire season (including the European Championships) without watching a single game, I'm feeling quite a sense of satisfaction. The impressive thing here is that I used to be a football addict. However, as with most addictions it never completely leaves the system. But with this milestone behind me I can write as an authority on the subject. And I am able to recommend abstinence to all who wish to improve their quality of life.

Some friends, acquaintances and interviewers have admired my accomplishments over the last 10 months. Others though, have been surprisingly negative. They don't seem to see the point of giving up something as exciting as football.

As for me, the benefits are screamingly obvious - amongst other things, the sheer amount of precious time gained. The arguments against me appear to be rooted in apathy and an acceptance that the game is an inseparable part of life. The objections are as follows:

  1. If I wasn't addicted to football, I would just be addicted to something else.
  2. What's the harm in it?
  3. What else am I going to do?
  4. There are worse things to be addicted to.
  5. It's always been part of my life and it always will be.
  6. My dad was a (name of team) supporter.
  7. Football is who I am. (They really mean watching football).

This combination of apathy and inevitability prevents people from grabbing hold of a perfectly good solution to their shortage of time. Oh they complain about not having enough time. But when, all of a sudden, claiming back time from sport is suggested, the excuses above are rolled out.

Losing ourselves in watching sport is a way of getting away from problems. However, problems mount when they are not faced. A family issue that is in need of settling is put off. Critical work related decisions that need to be made and implemented are purposely ignored. The stress we may have been trying to avoid is instead increased. Much can be said about getting our priorities right, but now I want to focus on how to make a start on the road to a more balanced life.

We like to see ourselves as individuals, people who can think for themselves. And yet when it comes to football many allow others to do their thinking for them. I appreciate this is a hard thing to admit, but if we can get past this stumbling block a giant step forward can be taken.

The hardest part of giving the problem the attention it deserves is admitting that we have a problem. Once this is done, the next step, difficult as it is, will be much easier. Now we are ready to evaluate our priorities in life despite what others might think or say.

The purpose of this article is to have readers stop and think. In our fast paced society it is increasingly more difficult to stop and remember to smell the coffee before we gulp it down. There's more to life than being able to converse knowledgeably with others about football. Take the time needed to think about it; it's the only way.



This news article is brought to you by CELEBRITY - where latest news are our top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment